Changes in folder structure:
- Media folder, errors folder, get.php, cron.php and index.php files are all moved to a pub folder.
- Skin and js folders are also moved to a pub/static folder. This makes it easier to manage static content with CDN.
- The database connection string is now defined in app/etc/env.php instead of the local.xml where it was previously located.
- Theme folder organization is also different now. All themes are grouped by vendor now and path naming convention is app/design/frontend/vendorName/themeName.
- Changes to modules have been made in a similar fashion. Paths to modules now contain both vendors’ name (namespace) and module name.